My Drops 88-23 pullover is done! Doesn’t it look like I’m all set for a nice trip to the Mediterranean? Too bad I didn’t have this for my trip to Greece! But never fear, it will see the ocean yet. I wanted to make it for my “Ultimate Caribbean” cruise in February, so now I’m all set.
I used three skeins of Douceur et Soie to knit the pattern in size small, but only used 4 or 5 grams from the third skein. I ran out of the second skein about halfway through the yoke. If I’d made the pattern as specified for the bottom (not increasing the hip size), and hadn’t increased the length of the sleeves (and had re-used my swatch yarn), I might have just barely made it with two, but it would have been very close. Douceur is 225 yards per skein, Vivaldi is 305. Kidsilk Haze is 270 yards, so I think two skeins of KSH would have worked. If I wanted to try it again with only two skeins of Douceur, I’d probably decrease the overall length by an inch, just to be safe. The pattern length is 22″, so even at 21″, it would still be a good length. The upside is that I have most of a skein left for my stash. Susan’s Branching Out, perhaps?
- In instructions for “Body”, where it says to put a marker at each side, the resulting number of stitches on each side should read (49-54-59-66-72) instead of (49-104-59-66-72).
- The last instruction for the “Sleeve” says to bind off 8 sts each side of marker. This should be 4 sts each side of marker, for a total of 8 sts bound off.
- Used Douceur et Soie instead of the recommended Vivaldi. I still used the US 10-1/2 needles specified, but used US 15 for the bind-offs.
- Instead of just casting on normally and picking up the cast-on edge for the hems at the bottom and sleeves, I did provisional cast-ons, because I was worried about the cast-on-edge being too tight. But I think it would have been fine if using the size 15 needles for the cast-on edge.
- Made the sleeves 2″ longer (not necessary, but I wanted the length to be about halfway between elbow and wrist, and the specified pattern length would only have been just past the elbow).
- Cast on with the same number of stitches as the bust and decreased to the waist, then increased back to the bust. This was a mistake – it’s very loose around the hips. If making it again, stick to the pattern!
- The final decrease row at the neckline made the neck opening much smaller than what is shown in the pattern. I undid my cast-off and tinked the last row (the decrease row), and then just cast off again.
New Techniques Used:
- Knitting a raglan from the bottom-up instead of top-down
- Knitting and turning a hem (I liked this method, especially the way the pattern used a row of K2/YO’s at the edge to make the edge scalloped.