I finished the Valpuri top this weekend. I had a bit of a struggle figuring out how to deal with the cables at the shoulders on the front and back, so I just sort of faked it. I got smarter for the sleeves, and charted out the pattern and decreases, so I could figure out what to do with the cables when I started decreasing into them. If I made this top again, I’d certainly do the same with the front and back.
Overall, I’m pleased with the result. It fits well, and it was an interesting knit. Not too difficult, but not too simple, either. There was enough going on to keep my interest, without getting either bored or frustrated. I thought it would go more quickly than it did, but the cables slowed me down quite a bit.
I used Rowan All Seasons Cotton, which knitted up to the correct pattern gauge. The top is probably a bit too bulky to want to wear in really hot weather, but it should be nice in spring and fall.
Pattern: Berroco Valpuri (free pattern)
Modifications: Used Rowan “All-Seasons Cotton”, 7 skeins. I purchased 8 skeins as recommended in the pattern, but the Rowan has slightly more yardage, and I just squeaked by with 7. If I’d only had 7 skeins of the recommended yarn, I’d have been sweating bullets.
Started: April 16, 2007
Finished: June 10, 2007