At the end of yesterday’s post, we were waiting to hear the conclusion of the saga of the shawl.
I pinned and stretched, blocking that puppy to within an inch of its life. And surprisingly, I came out closer to the pattern dimensions than I thought I would.
And the verdict? You be the judge:
Pattern: “Curved Shawl” from Victorian Lace Today
Yarn: Jade Sapphire Lacey Lamb, color 225, 1 ball – this was a great yarn to work with even though it’s so thin. It’s very soft and stretchy. I would certainly use it again.
Needles: US 2 instead of the US 3 listed for the pattern
Dimensions: The pattern specified 21″ x 62″, mine is 19″ x 57″
Notes: Since I knit loosely, and almost always need to go down a needle size, I used US 2 needles instead of US 3, to avoid running out of yarn. As it turns out, I probably would have been fine using the US 3, as the shawl ended up quite a bit smaller than the pattern, and I had tons of yarn left.
The ball of yarn is 60g, and I used 30g for the body of the shawl, and 10g for the border, so plan on the border taking about 1/3 as much yarn as the shawl.
I wasn’t too happy about the loop cast-on – it was difficult to work the first few rows, and difficult to find the loops to pick up for the border. I think if I were knitting it again, I would use a provisional cast-on.
The yarnovers at the outside edge of the border looked pretty sloppy until it was blocked, but they looked fine after blocking.