In which we discover the importance of checking for errata.
I’ve been working all weekend on the Harvey Kimono from Natural Knits for Babies and Moms. I zipped right through the back without any issues, and was working on one of the front pieces. I must have knit and reknit that silly piece at least 3 or 4 times over. One of the problems with knitting at SnB get-togethers is that I just don’t pay as much attention to what I’m doing, and I end up doing stupid things, like doing the neck-edge decreases on the armhole edge, or inserting a row of purl in my garter stitch edge (or even just a few stitches), forgetting to put in the buttonhole, losing track of where I am and not doing decreases when I should, etc.
But even worse was finally getting the front done and discovering that the side seam of the front piece was 1/2″ shorter than the corresponding side seam on the back piece. I checked and rechecked my gauge, the instructions, everything. I just couldn’t figure it out. I knew I’d looked at the projects in Ravelry and hadn’t seen anyone complaining about problems, so I was sure I’d done something wrong somewhere, but I didn’t know if it was the back or the front. So I ripped the front out again and started over, this time figuring that I’d just delay doing the armhole decrease until I got to the same height as the back (which meant doing the neck and armhole decreases in a different order from the pattern).
But after getting home from SnB tonight, I looked at Ravelry again, and noticed a project that said to be sure to check for the errata. Oh. Hmmmm, I seem to have missed that. Sure enough, the errata is to knit the front sections to 2 1/2″ in height before beginning the decreases, not 2″ as it says in the book. Well, there’s my missing 1/2″. Crap! Excuse me while I go scream. I’m usually really good about checking for errors first, I don’t know why it never occurred to me to look on this one. OK, lesson learned. Gotta go rip out that front again.