Pattern: Garter Rib Socks, from “Sensational Knitted Socks” by Charlene Schurch
Yarn: Plain & Fancy Sheep & Wool Co. Sport-weight yarn, color “Primary”. Sadly, this yarn is only available at fiber festivals.
Needles: US 2 (2.75 mm) DPNs
Gauge: 7 stitches and 11 rows per inch in stockinette stitch. About 13 rows per inch in garter rib.
Size: Custom knitted to measurements, but pretty close to the pattern’s specifications for men’s size 8 – partly because of the larger stitch gauge and stretchiness of the ribbing, and partly to get negative ease. See specifics below.
Modifications: Used the star toe (directions are in the book) instead of the suggested wedge toe for this pattern.
Actual foot measurements:
- Foot circumference: 9.5″
- Ankle circumference: 9″
- Total foot length: 10.25″
- Heel height 2.5″.
- Cast on 56 stitches
- Worked 16 rounds for the cuff
- Worked total leg length of 6.5″ (74 rounds from beginning, including the cuff)
- Knitted 34 rows for the heel flap (2.5″)
- Heel-to-toe length of 8.25″ (total of 90 rounds from heel turn)
- Star toe