I finished the Central Park Hoodie, and I’m in love. There’s a good reason why this is the most popular cardigan on Ravelry. It’s simple and fairly easy, but detailed enough to keep it interesting. A great classic look. I’d love to make this again sometime, but with a collar instead of a hood.
Pattern: Central Park Hoodie Ravelry link here.
Yarn: Tahki Donegal Tweed Homespun; color 854; 7 skeins
Size: 36″, with modifications (finished size about 37″)
Needles: US 7 (4.5mm) and US 5 (3.75 mm)
Modifications: (This looks like a lot, but other than the sleeve size, the modifications I did were very minor.)
- Added one extra stitch on each side of the side seams since I’d heard some people say the pattern ran small, but that wasn’t necessary – the body would have blocked perfectly to size. I’m not sure why other people had problems. I wouldn’t bother with this change next time.
- Increased body length by an inch to 15″ since I’m tall.
- Grafted the hood instead of binding off and seaming (I’d definitely do that again), then picked up the stitches for the entire front band at once. I might consider making the hood less pointy, but I’ll almost never wear the hood up anyway, so it doesn’t matter too much.
- Bound off the stitches at the neck and then picked up stitches for the hood, rather than keeping the stitches on waste yarn. I thought this would give a bit more structure to the neck area. Some people are doing a line of crochet to stabilze the neckline, but this worked fine for me.
- Used the sleeve instructions for the 40″ size (but keeping the length for the size 36″) and reshaped the sleeve cap accordingly. I knitted the sleeves in the round to make sure the fit was going to be right. A lot of people said the sleeves were very tight. I think they’d probably have been fine using the original directions if I were making a cardigan that would only go over sleeveless, short-sleeved, or thin long-sleeved tops, but I wanted to make sure it would be comfortable to wear over my medium-weight turtlenecks. If I knitted this again, I’d knit the sleeves flat, and choose the sleeve size based on what I planned to wear it over. But you need to pay attention to the cast-on numbers for the different sizes – for some sizes, going up to the next size doesn’t change the number of stitches cast-on, only the number of increases (so the sleeve is only larger at the upper arm, not from the wrist to elbow).
- Added toggle-buttons and button loops. I really liked the toggles with this yarn, since it’s kind of rustic. I crocheted loops for the toggles after deciding on the toggles and where to place them – I’ll detail that modification tomorrow.
One thing I’d do if I made it again would be to add some waist shaping. I decided against that for this one, because I planned on it being “outerwear”, and didn’t want it to be too fitted. But I think a bit of waist shaping would have worked nicely without making it too snug.
Really nice! Looks great on you.
Very nice! I love the tweedy yarn and rustic look of the pattern in combination. And great choice on the toggles! They really make the look too.
Fabulouso! It looked so good on you Sunday and your crochet fix was ingenious. However, I’m still laughing about your being tall. 😉
Beautiful! I love the tweedy yarn you chose. Looks great on you.
It turned out wonderfully and looks great on you! It’s on my list – but probably with a collar instead of a hood.
It really looks wonderful! Love the yarn you chose.
The toggles are a great touch!
Wow, it looks really great on you and the toggles are a nice touch, too.
The toggles are the perfect ending. Like whipped cream on a banana split. 😀
It looks really nice! What a great color and yarn you chose 🙂
Excellent! One of these days I will finish mine….and I’m doing mine without a hood.
Nice and tweedy! Love the toggles too.
Nice! I had given up the CPH and chose to do the Dickinson Pullover instead, but maybe I’ll just do both! It looks great on you and your color choice is a good match for you.