A lot of sore muscles! OK, so it’s -only- 2 tons, not 16, but the muscles are still sore.
Yep, there’s lots of work going on at Chateau Cabled Sheep.
We’ve been wanting to replace our ancient driveway for years – the roots of the tree that used to be in our front yard cracked and buckled the cement. The curbing along the side of the driveway has been pushed up several inches, and some of the driveway pieces rock when you walk or drive on them.
This year we’re not only going to replace the driveway, but also the equally ancient one-car garage. DH thinks it was probably built in the ’20s or ’30s.
I know it doesn’t look so bad in the photo, but trust me, it’s in terrible shape. It only looks this good because I repainted it last year. But the roof is in terrible shape – you can see daylight through it, and it’s so covered with moss that you can barely see the shingles. The biggest problem, though, is the diminutive size. Our house is one of the few on the street that has a garage at all, and some of the houses have to share a driveway easement, so at least we’ve got this much. But with two cars and only a single car garage and driveway, either one car is always out on the street, or we have to constantly be shuffling them around. So we’ve decided to splurge and have this one ripped down, and put in a brand new 2 1/2 car garage, with room for a nice workbench. And it will have a “person door”, so that we can get in it even if the power is out or the garage door spring breaks. We’re having a company build it for us, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a lot of work for us to do.
See this patio? It’s gotta go, since that’s where the expanded part of the garage will be. And all those plants between the patio and the garage? They’re history (given away, not tossed!)
So now all of those pavers have to be picked up and moved, since we’ll probably use them to make a new patio where the veggies are now, to the left of the current patio. There’s pavers under those garbage cans too, which you can’t see in the photo. I calculated the number of pavers and the weight of each, and it came out to 3972.5 pounds of pavers that need to be moved. Just shy of 2 tons.
But wait, there’s more… all these bricks need to be picked up and moved too:
That will definitely put the total over 2 tons.
So who do you suppose is moving all of these bricks and pavers? Well, not DH. He’s off at a conference having a good time. And he’ll only be home a few days before he’s off again. So that means I get to haul 2 tons of brick by myself. He’s gonna owe me. So far I’ve moved close to half of the pavers. At least it’s good exercise! And fortunately, it did occur to me to put on my back support thingie.
Sheesh. And I thought the push ups were bad. And speaking of which, the third week on the push up program was really a killer. I was so smug the first two weeks since I was doing so well. But it was all I could do to get through the minimum number of push ups for the third week’s program. Maybe lifting and carrying 35-pound loads of pavers across the yard will help strengthen me up for the fourth week.