Finally, I have some photos for you!
Modifications: Not much. I did a different stripe pattern, and made the body a little shorter than indicated in the pattern. There was one unintentional modification – I started the shrug with the XS size, but when I joined it for the sleeves, I decided it was too tight at the armpit. Rather than reknit the whole back (which seemed to fit just fine), I just increased the shrug by 5 stitches right before joining to work in the round for the sleeves, and continued on for the rest of the sweater using size S instructions. Oh, and I joined the shrug and body just a tad more in the front – not much, only about 1/4″. But it’s just enough so that I can wear a bra that has really wide-set straps.
I think the sweater would have fit just fine if I’d done everything according to the size S directions, but if I make another one (and I’m seriously considering a short-sleeved version after seeing this one on Ravelry), I would probably do the same thing with the shrug, since it turned out so well. But I might do the increases for the sleeve join a little sooner – maybe 1 or 2 inches before the join, just to give a little more ease around the shoulder.
I really liked the pattern – it’s has a very clever construction, and it’s quick to knit. The instructions were clear and easy to follow.