It was hard to get photos yesterday, since there’s no good place indoors to take photos, and it was so wet outside after the 6″ of snow we got the day before. But finally in the afternoon I was able to find a dry spot to hang out the scarf for your viewing pleasure.
I’d probably most often just wrap it around my neck scarf style, but this pic will give you a better idea of the size.
And this one’s better for detail and color correctness (clicky for bigger and better):
Pattern: “Alpine knit scarf with double rose leaf center pattern and diamond border” from Victorian Lace Today by Jane Sowerby
Yarn: Laceweight wool from Handpaintedyarn.com, in color Crisantemo (Chrysanthemum), 1 skein
Needles: 3.5mm (US 4)
Modifications: Did additional repeats of the central section since I had a lot of yarn left when I reached the length indicated in the pattern. Sadly, I was a bit too optimistic and ran out of yarn half a diamond from the end of the border, so I had to rip out the diamond border and two repeats of the central leaf pattern in order to finish (and even then, I barely squeaked by with only 3.5 yards left). I ended up with 40 repeats of the rose leaf pattern.
For the bind-off, I took Susan‘s advice and did the following: K1, * K1, slip the tip of the LH needle into the 2 sts on the RH needle and knit them together TBL (using a needle one size larger, too). I tried the suspended bind off indicated in the pattern, plus a few different variations on the Russian/Icelandic/decrease bind-off, but this was the only one that I really felt was stretchy enough.
Note: The pattern tells you to do 37 repeats of the rose leaf pattern. However, you must do an even number of repeats in order for the borders to be symmetrical.
This took me about 7 months to knit from start to finish, but there were long stretches where I didn’t touch it, and I usually didn’t work on it for more than an hour or two at a time anyway. I’m very happy with how it turned out. The yarn isn’t as soft as some, but it’s not scratchy enough to bother me, either. It tended to stick to itself a lot, which sometimes made knitting with it (and ripping it out) a little challenging.
I think this officially wraps up my Knitting w/Nora projects. Gee, that took a while, didn’t it. But at least I’m still ahead of SOME people. Which reminds me…