I snapped this photo of my mock turtleneck after seaming the shoulders and sides, but before adding the collar. The collar is now done, and I’m working on the sleeves. I like how the collar turned out, though the cast-off makes it a wee bit snug to pull over my head. I think I’ll leave it for now, though, and see if it loosens up after a wash. If not, I’ll pull it out and re-do it a bit stretchier. I just did a regular bind-off because I didn’t want the top edge to pull out of shape and be floppy or ripply.
I think I have enough yarn for full-length sleeves with a hem at the cuff, but because I’m not quite sure, I decided to do the sleeves top-down. I picked up stitches along the armscye and did short-row shaping for the cap. I had gotten about an inch past the armpit join, when I realized that I was working on 3.25 (US 3) mm needles instead of 3.75 mm (US 5) needles. Grrrr! Otherwise, it looked pretty good.
At SnB yesterday afternoon, I started again with the correct size needles, but after finishing the short rows, I could see that it looked really bad. There were some holes and gaps not only at a couple of the short rows, but also along the picked-up stitches. Because the sleeves are quite fitted, I was only picking up every other stitch along the armhole, and it just didn’t look good.
So now I have a new plan.
I decided to scrap the whole short-row shaping idea, and started over, just knitting the sleeve from the top down, but not attached to the sweater. I did this once before, and it worked out quite well. I cast on the number of stitches that would normally be cast-off at the top of the sleeve cap, and then just did increases at each end where I would have been decreasing if I’d been knitting them cuff-up. When I reached the bottom of the sleeve cap where stitches would be bound off at each side, I just cast on the corresponding stitches at each edge, then joined the sleeve to work in the round. Now I’ll work the sleeve downward, decreasing at the “seam” edge where the increases would have been. After a couple of inches, I’ll seam it into the top, and then I can try on the top so I can adjust the sleeve shaping if necessary.
I’ll stop at 3/4 sleeves and work the other sleeve to match, then I can finish them both up to whatever length looks good and doesn’t make me run out of yarn. I’ll probably even wash and block it before finishing the sleeves, in case they grow in length and I want to shorten them.