It’s finished and I really love it. I’m sure I’ll wear it often. And now I’m dreaming about making the worsted-weight version with long sleeves, in a heathered or semi-solid dark red. Mmmm.
I think it’s cute over long sleeves, short sleeves, or with my long Lacy Gloves – and with the collar up or down. The Pontiff was patient enough to take lots of different photos, so click on any photo for larger. (Looks like spring, doesn’t it? I love leafy evergreens.)
Pattern: Drops 103-1 Jacket (“DROPS jacket in ”Eskimo” or ”Silke-Alpaca” with A-shape and ¾-long or long sleeves”.) The pattern has instructions for knitting with either bulky or worsted-weight yarn, and two sleeve lengths. I knitted the bulky version with 3/4 sleeves.
Yarn: Garnstudio DROPS Eskimo (100% wool), 13.1 skeins. I’ll have to see how it wears, but so far, I really like the yarn. It’s quite sturdy, but very light and soft, and it drapes beautifully. I’ve been wearing it for a couple of days, and so far I haven’t seen any pilling. Note that this is a BULKY yarn. For some reason, Ravelry currently lists many of the Garnstudio yarns as one weight heavier than they are, so they list it as super-bulky. I think I need to contact the editors. (Yes, I know I can edit, but I don’t really want to make edits for yarns, since I don’t know if there are any issues with that.) The Silke-Alpaca is listed on Ravelry as Aran, but evidently it’s really worsted-weight.
Needles: US 11 / 8mm
- Cast on for size S to get less flare at the bottom, and worked fewer increases so that I ended up with the right number of stitches for size M at the chest.
- Decreased two extra stitches at each shoulder for narrower shoulders.
Knitting Modifications: I’m listing these separately from the pattern modifications because although I knit the pieces differently, the result was the same as if I’d followed the directions. They’re really a modification of the directions, not the pattern.
- Knit the body in one piece and then divided at the armscyes. I would probably not do this again, but I wasn’t sure if the knitted piece would grow more than I expected once it was knit up in such a large piece (it didn’t – it only grew slightly, as I expected from my swatch). I was also concerned that the seams might be too bulky, but I think they would have been fine.
- Picked up stitches around the armhole, shaped the sleeve caps with short rows, and knit the sleeves top down in the round. I chose to do this because I wasn’t sure if I wanted 3/4 or full length sleeves, and also because I wanted to try out the technique on something that didn’t have a ton of stitches. It worked out fine, but knitting them as indicated in the pattern would have been fine, too.
- Realized when I got to the top of the right side that I’d forgotten to do the buttonholes. I could have ripped back or laddered down, but I decided not to bother. So I just sewed on buttons for decoration, and used snaps as fasteners.