I did finish the top with yarn to spare.
However, it’s about 2″ too big. The photo shows it after I basted it with 1″ seams on each side.
Although this is partly because I didn’t think that the thick seed-stitch fabric would look good with much negative ease, it’s mostly because my garment gauge didn’t match my swatch gauge.
No, I didn’t check the gauge while I was knitting. I based my calculations on the finished swatch after it was machine washed and dried.
No, I didn’t bother to measure the back piece after it was done. Even though I threw it in the washer and dryer. It LOOKED like it was fine.
Yes, I’m paying for my arrogance.
It doesn’t look all that bad when I’m wearing it, but it feels really baggy. It was much better when I took in the seams.
So now I need to decide whether to throw in the towel and donate it to the thrift store, or frog it and reknit it. At least I know I’ll have enough yarn.