I got tired of waiting for the rain to stop for a decent photo shoot, so the front porch was the best I could do.
Pattern: Summer Swing Jacket, by Jessica Grzedzinski
Yarn: Garnstudio DROPS Lin, 100% linen, color 103 (Linen), 5 skeins.
Needles: US 6 (4mm)
Ravelry: Project Page
This is a very simple pattern – you just knit up the back, cast on for the sleeves at each side, split for the neck, and knit down the front. Then you just seam the sides, knit a simple rolled collar, and add some button loops and buttons.
The pattern is only written for one size, but it’s not too difficult to do the math for your own size (and gauge). I knitted it with zero ease for the bust. The trickiest part for me was in deciding how long to knit the sleeves, so that they’d be the right width. I wanted them to be pretty fitted so there wouldn’t be much bunching of fabric at the armpit, but on the other hand, I certainly didn’t want them to be too tight. I wasn’t sure exactly where to measure my arm to determine the measurement, but I figured it would probably be about where a cap sleeve would fall, and that turned out to be right. The photo below has a piece of red yarn threaded through the stitches that are in a straight line with the side edges. From the red yarn down to the edge of the sleeve is the part that was cast on for the sleeves. I went a little larger than was necessary, because I figured a little loose was better than too tight. If I were to knit it again, I’d go about a half inch smaller.
The cute buttons came from Blazing Needles. There were also some silver oblong-shaped ones that were very pretty, but I decided I preferred the contrast of the black buttons.
The Garnstudio linen yarn is great, since there isn’t any problem with the stockinette rolling at the edges. It’s kind of fuzzy, but it has a wonderful drape, and a beautiful look to it. It really looks like silver. Hmmm. Maybe I should call it my Mithril jacket.
I used a lot less yarn than I expected from the pattern notes – only about 600 yards. I still have about 400 yards left. Now I’ve got to figure out what I can do with the rest of it. I’ve decided that knitted and crocheted market bags really don’t work well for anything that’s “pokey”, so that’s out. It’s probably not quite enough for a tank top, though.