I’ve been trying to knit something out of the Katia Linen I’ve had in my stash for a while. I only have enough yarn for something sleeveless, or possibly very short-sleeved.
First I was going to make the Avocado top from the Summer 2009 Verena Knitting. It’s a plain stockinette tank with a dropped-stitch yoke. Since I wasn’t really sure how it would work out, I did a provisional cast-on and just started at the armholes where the pattern changes. I figured if it came out OK, I could just knit the stockinette portion down in the round. But I really didn’t like how it was working up, so I ripped it out.
Then I decided on a pullover vest based loosely on Alice. I did a swatch of the lace pattern and thought it looked OK, so I cast on for the back and knit 6 or 8 inches. But again, I just wasn’t feeling the love. It looked more like macrame than lace.
My thoughts kept turning back to my original swatch, and I realized that the yarn was telling me it wanted to be knitted in stockinette. So back to the drawing board Ravelry I went, and after reviewing my options, decided to give the Aleita Shell a try. Interestingly enough, this is actually the pattern I had in mind when I bought the yarn, but then I wasn’t sure I wanted to make it after all. Today I cast on and was able to get a couple of inches knitted. So far, it seems good, although I have some doubts about the cast-on edge. It seems slightly tight even though I cast on loosely with larger needles, and I have some concerns that it will roll – but hopefully after washing it will be OK.