For having pretty much no clue how the sizing was going to come out, it’s amazing how good the fit turned out to be.
She’s deserving of a better photo shoot, but I’m lucky I can get DH to take even a couple of minutes to play photographer, so a few hurried shots is usually the best I can expect.
Pattern: Nell, from Amber -A Winter Gathering, by Kim Hargreaves
Yarn: Cascade 128 Chunky, color 9475 (Sage), 11 skeins
Needles: US 10 (6mm) and US 9 (5.5 mm)
Ravelry: Project page, Pattern page
Modifications: Adjusted the waist shaping to suit my figure and different row gauge, and instead of doing the large cable pattern on the sleeves, did the two smaller cables with an inset of 5 stitches in the same pattern used in the center of the large cables. I thought that doing the full cable pattern would be too overwhelming. I also knitted the coat about 2″ shorter than the pattern called for (but did more pattern repeats, because I had a tighter row gauge). That was actually unintentional, as I meant to knit it to the correct length but messed up my measurements. It worked out well, though, because I like the length. My subconscious evidently knew what it was doing. I didn’t make the belt, because I’m pretty sure I would never wear it.
I knit the sleeves to the same number of rows as specified in the pattern, even though my row gauge was tighter. I figured the sleeves would stretch out quite a bit (which they did), and I didn’t want them hanging down over my hands. I’d prefer about another 1/2 to 1″ of length, but I can probably get that with my final blocking.
I knit the size that was “to fit” a 32″ bust, even though my bust is 36″. It appears that the intended finished size gives about 9″ of positive ease, which was more than I wanted. The coat ended up being about 40″ at rest, which is is pretty good. It’s stretchy enough that it would be fine at 1 to 2″ smaller, but it doesn’t feel oversized.