I had Ingenue knit all the way down to the separation of the sleeves, and a few rows beyond. After trying it on, I decided that I was unhappy with several things.
First of all, the collar seemed really, really huge. It matched the schematic dimensions, but I wasn’t sure I liked it. I have a small head, so that probably was not helping. But I was willing to finish the sweater and deal with it afterward if it was a problem – I figured I could cut off the collar and reknit it if I had to.
The armhole was also a little long, so I figured I’d rip it back a few rows. No big deal.
But then I noticed that about an inch below the collar, there was an obvious color shift where I’d changed skeins. (All of my yarn is the same dyelot, but these were definitely different.) Also, I’d done a spit-splice, and the splice was right in the front (I actually thought it was the back when I did it… silly me). The splice wasn’t extremely noticeable to the eyes, but it felt lumpy and hard. I knew it was going to bug me, so I figured I might as well rip back to the join and redo it, alternating the yarns for a few rows.
So I ripped away.
Then I figured it would be even less noticeable if I ripped all the way back to the collar and just joined the new yarn there. Plus, that would give me the opportunity to add a few short rows to the back neck.
I had done a provisional cast-on for the collar, and when I got to the body, I knitted the first row of stitches along with the first row of the body to join the collar without seaming. I did have some misgivings about that, because I wouldn’t be able to unpick it later if I wanted to. So as long as I was already back to the first row of the body, I decided to undo that too, and sew the collar hem separately.
Then I was on a roll, and just couldn’t help it. I’d originally started the collar with the same needles I’m using for the body (US 8), as indicated in the pattern. But halfway through the collar I could see that it wasn’t going to match the schematic, so I frogged and reknit it with US 9’s instead. This matched the schematic perfectly. But I couldn’t get over the feeling that the collar was just too big.
And then I was left with this. Well, two of them, actually.
But, all is not lost.
I cast on again for the collar, using the US 8’s, and a provisional cast-on. This time, though, after finishing the collar, I put the live stitches on waste yarn. Then I picked up the stitches from the provisional cast-on, and started working the body downwards from there. That actually makes the collar upside down from how the pattern has it worked, but I didn’t think it would make much difference with the pattern stitch. But this way, if I don’t like the collar after I’m done, I can lengthen or shorten it easily, or even rip it down to the body and completely reknit it. I’ll just tack it in place temporarily until I decide if I like it.
I also added two sets of short rows. I’ve never done short rows on a raglan, so I asked Susan how far she thought I should take them across the neck. She suggested putting markers at each side edge and doing the first set at 7 stitches before each marker, and the second set at 4 stitches before each marker. So I’ve done that and so far it looks good.