I’ve finally made some reasonable progress on Ingenue, and she’s looking pretty fine.
I’m very pleased with how the body fits. The sleeve is… good enough, I guess. The sleeve is about bracelet length or slightly shorter (probably bracelet length after washing). I have plenty of yarn to make the sleeves full-length, though, if I decide I don’t like the current length.
For the hem and cuffs, I went up a needle size to do the decorative stitch pattern, but then went back down to the original needle size for the final two rows and the bindoff. The pattern says to bind off knitwise, but that didn’t look very good, and it made the edge roll outwards. So instead, I bound off purlwise, and I think it’s much better. Some people put in a stockinette facing and hem to avoid the rolling issue, but I’d rather not have the extra layer if I can avoid it.
I’m having a bit of a love/hate relationship with the yarn (O-Wool Classic). For the most part, I love it. It’s soft and comfortable. But for some reason, it’s hard to work stitches evenly, and every bit of unevenness shows up. I keep finding individual stitches here and there that are larger than they should be. I’ve never had that problem with other merino wools I’ve used. I did notice this problem when I did my swatch – the stitches just didn’t look even, and washing and blocking didn’t really make any difference.
There are a few stitches that are so loose I may have to pull out the slack on the inside and tack them down – or see if I can spread the excess yarn across the row. Also, although the yarn does spit-splice, I found the join to be very obvious both to the eye and touch. So instead of doing spit-splices, I just joined new balls at areas I hope will be inconspicuous, and I’ll weave in the ends.