I went to my LYS today and got buttons to put the finishing touches on Beau. The Pontiff went along to help select the buttons. Fortunately, we both agreed on our number one choice, so there was no fighting.
He’s REALLY happy with his new sweater. He keeps saying it looks like something you’d buy in a nice store. And that it feels and fits great.
I agree. It really helped that he gave me a sweater that he thinks has a perfect fit. I was able to knit the torso and sleeve lengths to match, and block the whole sweater to the same dimensions.
The buttons are more blue than they appear in this photo:
Modifications: Not much. The body and sleeve lengths were shortened, and I also cast on 2 fewer stitches at the cuffs so that the ribbing would match when seamed. I increased two stitches on the first row after the ribbing to get the correct number of stitches. Oh, and one small mistake – when I did the back, I only made the ribbing at the hem half as tall as it should have been, but we agreed that it looked fine, so I left it alone and made the front to match.
I think this is an great pattern for men – it’s fairly plain, but still has some interest to it. It’s easy to knit, and works up quickly. The recommended sizing gives about 6 inches of positive ease, which I think is just about right for this sweater, especially if it will be worn over a t-shirt.