After many trials and tribulations, I’ve finally finished the top portion of Ginger and am ready to zoom to the finish.
Remember what I showed you in the last post? Shortly after writing that post, I sat down to start the body. Sadly, I realized that I had misread the instructions and had messed up the back. I thought the V section in the back started 2 rows before the armhole split, and had decided to just start it at the split. But it actually started about 1 1/2 inches below the armhole split. I considered cutting the yarn for the front piece just above the armhole bindoff, and knitting downward from there, but ended up ripping the entire thing out. Yep, completely and totally.
I started over from scratch, casting on a couple of rows before the back split (correctly, this time), and reknit the top portion.
It actually gave me the chance to rework the front neck a little differently, and I did a better job of keeping my tension even (which is extremely difficult with this yarn).
The hard part’s done, as the rest will be done in the round, just working the shaping to fit.
The amusing thing is that I had expected to probably have a visible ridge where I had done the provisional cast-on, and then picked up to work down. And if you look at the first photo, you can see that it looks as if I do. But actually, that’s a couple of rows ABOVE the provisional cast-on – it’s the row where I split for the V in the back. You can’t tell at all where the provisional cast-on was done. I think I’ll try to go across that row and snug up the stitches a bit by pulling the excess yarn all to one side, and securing it on the inside.
The color of the yarn and name of the pattern seem very appropriate to this photo of red ginger I took last year in St. Lucia: