Remember our Floor project?
We’ve finally finished the sealer and polyurethane finishes. We decided to just go with a clear finish, and used Bona Mega waterbased finish, plus the Bonaseal to seal the wood first. We’re really happy with the product so far – it was easy to apply and looks and feels very nice. I know it won’t stand up to abuse as well as the oil-based finishes, but it’s much better for us and the environment, and we could put on multiple coats in hours instead of days. We’ll just have to see how it holds up.
The finish made the wood quite a bit darker and richer looking. On the plus side, it gave the wood a gorgeous color. But on the negative side, it made the blotchiness of the wood stand out more (it’s more obvious in person than in the photo).
We’ll just say that it’s showing off it’s well-earned wrinkles and age spots.
We were able to lighten the really bad stains (along the edge of the wall on the right side) quite a bit by using hydrogen peroxide on them (thanks for the tip, Sue!), but I didn’t want to try lightening them too much and end up bleaching the wood instead of the stain, so I didn’t lighten them up as much as I probably should have.
And of course, we still have the issue of the back 2 feet being much darker. Maybe we should have tried staining the wood – we might have been able to even out the color changes a bit. But who knows – it might have just made things worse, and I really like the color that it turned out. (It matches the cat!)
The areas where the wood was in practically like-new condition are gorgeous. It’s a shame we couldn’t get the whole floor to look like that. I suppose a professional with a drum sander would have been able to sand a bit deeper and maybe get rid of more of the blemishes, but I suspect even that wouldn’t have gotten rid of them all.
Here’s what the wood looked like before and after the finish – it’s amazing how much difference even a clear finish makes:
And what we started with – after we ripped off the awful carpet (you can still see some of it on the left side of the photo), but before we removed the subfloor and that little patch of tile and discovered the original wood: