Actually, I guess it’s only “plant pocket”, singular. But I’m making a few more, so it won’t be lonely for long.
Modifications: I changed the pattern so that I could knit it in the round on DPNs rather than seaming it at the end. Details are on my Ravelry project (link above).
Since it’s not quite as humid here as it is in San Francisco (slight understatement, eh?), I had the brilliant idea of using some of those plastic “pillows” that come as packing material as a pocket liner. I just cut the top to be even with the top of the pocket, poked a few holes for drainage. The width of the plastic pocket was a little bigger than the knitted pocket, but I just folded the edges in and it worked fine. Hopefully that will keep enough moisture in the pocket to keep the soil most enough between waterings so that the succulents won’t die.
I’m a little concerned that strong winds will wreak havoc with it, though. Without access to the back of the fence, I can’t put a tie on the bottom, so I just did the tie on the top and looped it over a fence board. We’ll see what happens. Hopefully the racoons will leave it alone when they come back to knock over the bird bath again.