The Cool Breeze Cardigan for my mother is trudging along at a slow but steady pace. (As you may recall, this is the one she asked me to knit for her, and said I could have it after she dies.) I started the body using a provisional cast-on, so I could go back and adjust the length of the body and sleeves when I do a final fitting on her.
The body is done except for the length issue, and then adding the bottom ribbing and front bands. One sleeve is done except for length adjustments and the cuff. After I get the second sleeve done to the same length, we’ll do the fitting and then I’ll be able to finish it up.
Because I wasn’t sure about the sleeve length, I decided to knit the set-in sleeves top-down (as separate pieces), rather than bottom-up. I’ve done sleeves this way a few times, and it has worked out well for me.
Instead of working from cuff to sleeve cap, I cast on the number of stitches that would be bound off at the top of the sleeve cap. Then to shape the cap, I follow the pattern in reverse, casting on stitches at each end instead of binding off, or increasing instead of decreasing. When the cap is finished, I either continue working flat, or join it in the round, depending on the pattern and my mood. I’ll usually set in the sleeve after I get an inch or two past the sleeve cap, so that I can adjust as needed for width and length.
The challenge with this pattern was the lace panel on the sleeves. You can’t necessarily just flip a lace chart upside down and have it look the same as it would right-side up. I had to tweak the lace pattern a bit to make it look as close as possible to the original pattern. I think it worked out fine, though.