Done! And although we’re heading into warmer spring weather, today is cool and rainy – just perfect for wearing it.
I’m really happy with how this pullover turned out. I had thought that the 4″ of positive ease would look a bit more oversized than it does, but it’s really comfortable the way it is. I might make this my go-to basic bulky yarn pullover pattern – I can definitely see making it again, especially with some different design elements. It would be great without the cable, or maybe with some pockets.
As for modifications (of course!), I knit the body in the round to the armholes instead of in pieces, lengthened the body by one cable repeat, and slimmed down the sleeves.
I really loved the sleeve caps – they set in perfectly.
The pattern itself has a few problems, though. There’s an error in one line of the cable instructions, and I didn’t care for how the cable instructions or the decrease/increase instructions were worded. Also, the pattern cuts off halfway through the neck band instructions. But what can I say, you get what you pay for, right? And it’s such a basic sweater, it wasn’t hard to figure out. I made a cable chart and detailed the errata on my Ravelry page.
For the yarn, I used an acrylic/wool blend that got pretty good reviews on Ravelry, and had the same gauge as the pattern (which calls for Lopi). I wanted it to be wearable against the skin, so I didn’t want a wool that would be too scratchy, and that much bulky-but-lofty merino would probably have overpriced the sweater (though it would certainly have been delicious). A sale at Deramore’s on their bulky yarn sealed the deal. The yarn feels pretty comfortable to wear, and feels pretty soft. We’ll see how it holds up to wash & wear.
I may still look at some all-wool yarns for the next version, though.