The giant pink tent is complete. [Oh, and look – the lilacs are in full bloom already!]
And no, it isn’t really all that giant. It just felt that way while I was knitting it.
But still, it’s big.
I’m very happy with it, and it’s very comfortable to wear.
I did make one mistake, though. When I seamed the shoulders, I forgot that it was supposed to be an exposed seam (3-needle bindoff worked with the wrong sides of the fabric together). Instead, I seamed it with the right sides together for a traditional seam. I’ve been pondering whether it would be possible to change that without messing up the sleeves and neck. Hmmm.
I also made the sleeves longer, and then they grew more than I expected – so they’re a bit longer than I planned. I could easily cut them back and reknit the ribbing, but I’ll probably just leave it alone.
Pattern: Relax, by Ririko, project notes here.
Yarn: JaggerSpun Zephyr Wool Silk 2/18 in “Cassis”, held double. Just under half a cone – about 2400 yards.
Needles: US 6/4mm as the main needle, US 5/3.75mm for the sleeves and neck, US 4/3.5mm for the ribbing
Modifications: I knit size XS to make it less oversized. Made the neckline slightly less wide by working 3 fewer bindoff stitches on each neck edge (just skipped the last 3 bindoff sts). Made the sleeves a little longer. Made a rolled hem at the bottom edge instead of the ribbing.
I like this pattern a lot, and can see making other versions – one without the attached sleeves to make a short-sleeved one, and perhaps one in a yarn with a higher wool content for colder weather.
I’m glad I changed the neckline – the neck opening is still wide, but not so wide that straps show. It only ended up about half an inch narrower than the pattern specified. If I made it again, I’d probably narrow it even more.
I like how the Zephyr yarn worked out. It’s very lightweight and has lots of drape, which is important for this pattern.